Thursday, February 10, 2005

A proverb a day..

Back in proverbs again... I was gazing on chapter 4, I believe. At first, it was good reading... your typical "bless the righteous" / "don't follow the ways of the wicked." I started dwelling on it, and decided there's got to be more than just the surface. So, it talked about not following after the wicked because basically all they want to do is to destroy and murder. I thought about those who are not saved, which is classified as the "wicked" in God's sight. I know many people, unsaved, who are very good and such lovely people to be around. Could you possibly picture them as murders and lying in wait to shed blood? My little old neighbour next door, my friend in class, the friendly gas station attendant, etc. However, it struck me that although these would all be considered "good" in our eyes, they are "wicked" in God's eyes because they do not choose to follow Him but seek their own way in life. Even if they're devote, "religious" people, if they've decided their way is the right/only way to God, these are in the "wicked" category. These people may impose their way on others or discourage others from being a Christian. Or they may simply be satisfied in their own false sense of being religious. Either way, they're leading someone to their death, whether it's themselves (through self deception) or others. So this is what the proverbs led me to thinking today... it's not that every "wicked" person is wanting to physically kill others, but they most definitely are killing someone spiritually by their stubborn ways and refusal to submit to our loving, holy God. I'm not pointing a finger at who's good or who's bad, but God outlines it in His word so trust that.

No comments: