Monday, February 21, 2005

Cut to the heart

At a Valentine's party the other day, we all received party gifts, in which was found a fruit-of-the-spirit bracelet. The one I got was "kindness." At first I thought, oh that's a good reminder. Easy to say, but upon further observance on my life the last few days, I've been saddened to realize how unkind my ways can be. And I pinpoint this all down to something so rotten and disgusting, yet comfortable and attractive: my flesh. In guarding and seeking my own way, I do things that do not have the other person's best interests in mind. God, how I wish this terrible annoyance and great challenger was rid of, at this very moment! But, oh, how it reminds me that I NEED Him. I thank Him that He has never given me anything but utter lovingkindness. When He could have demanded that I do this and that, and show Him how much I love Him in order to earn His love in return, instead He said this: "when we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Also, the Bible says, "we love Him because He first loved us." I didn't have to clean up all my ways first. Never in my most hoped for dreams could I ever be good enough to earn His love. He gave it freely and willingly. But, not only do I have His unwavering love and gift of salvation, but He also gives us the victory in this life over our sin. It wouldn't make sense for Him to go through all the agony and sufferings of death and paying for our sins and then rising again to just leave us in the same state we were before our salvation. No, He has given us "newness of life." This newness of life offers us hope of walking without the power of sin in our life. The next time temptation stares you in the face and calls your name, realize right then and there that it has no power, no right to demand you to do what it desires. Christ has freed you from that way of life, from the former slave master of sin and death. You are free, you are victorious! This passage from Romans 12 was refreshing to me today:
I beseech you therefore brethren by the mercies of God that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God for this is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good, acceptable, and perfect will of God.

No comments: