Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Does God have expectations?

Are God's expectations of us high or low? Does he keep them low knowing we'll mess up? Or high because he wants us to strive forward? Or none at all, because his love for us is free from all conditions and/or expectations? He's grateful for any and all affection, devotion and intimacy we render him. Like a father with his child in his lap, to spend five precious minutes embracing his presence, he is satisfied.

1 comment:

meredith Biddle said...

This is a question I have never actually asked, pondered or answered! Interesting. I guess what comes to mind for me is the idea that it is God who accomplishes things in and through us, and if Christ was raised from the dead with the same Spirit that lives in us, he's gotta have pretty stinking high expectations of us.

But are those expectations of us or of God? Can God have expectations of Himself? I think of Philippians 1:6 "...being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" and Ephesians 3:20 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us..."

And maybe these passages don't completely answer your question, but I think they imply that perhaps God's expectations of His work in us are quite high - and not because of how amazing we are but because of what God is capable of doing in our weakness.

2 Corinthians 12:9: "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

And I think God knows very well that we are weak, as He created us! Psalm 103:14 "For he knows how weak we are; he remembers we are only dust."